Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Atlanta Civil War Roundtable



Recently my wife and I attended for the first time the Atlanta Civil War Round Table meeting in Atlanta. The meetings are held at the Capital City Country Club down town.

In my travels giving programs on my book "Above the High Water Mark" I learned of this group and wanted to see what it was about. I must say we were impressed with the location and the caliber of the people in attendance.



http://abovethehighwatermark.blogspot.com/2017/04/

This organization has been around since 1949. My grandparents were members of the Capital City Country Club and I have fond memories of going to the Brookhaven location. My grandfather took me fishing on the lake.

The speaker for event we went to was Dr. Earl J. Hess. He spoke of his book on Braxton Bragg. At the end of his program he stated "I am glad the South lost." This was really unnecessary and the audience's response was complete silence. Very appropriate response!

In talking to another member of the Atlanta Civil War Round Table the topic of other Round Tables around the country came up. The comment was made that Round Tables up north don't seem to have the baggage that Southern Round Tables do. From my perspective there is no baggage and I proudly defend my Confederate Ancestors in their struggle for Independence.


Standing with Lee at the CCC

I am a native Atlantan born at Georgia Baptist Hospital in downtown Atlanta. I look forward to joining and participating in this organization.



1 comment:

  1. Although this place is probably not cheap, but they are centrally located, have fabulous staff and delicious food, and most importantly, the best views of the city. I would definitely recommend the New York venues for any kind of fancy event – all my friends talked about throwing parties here only.

    ReplyDelete